The Origin of Dong Title

Gaepo-dong

The name Gaepo was derived from ‘mudflat,’ which was pronounced ‘Gaepeol,’ as there was a mudflat in the past. The name was changed to ‘Gaepae’ and ‘Gaepo’ as an indication how it was written in Chinese characters. For this reason, Gaepo-dong is also called by its old name Gaepae or Gaepo. The history of Gaepo-dong traces back to the Period. At the end of Joseon, it was a part of Poi-dong and Bangok-dong in Eonju-myeon in Gwangju-gun, Gyeonggi Province. Then, it became Banpo-ri in Eonju-myeon, Gwangju-gun, Gyeonggi-do at the confirmation of Gyeonggi Province in 1914.

On December 1, 1983, it was separated into Gaepo 1 and 2-dong. It was divided again into Gaepo 2 and 3-dong from Gaepo 2-dong in 1985. After re-division conducted in 1988 from Gaepo 1-dong to Gaepo1 and 4, Gaepo 2 and 3-dong were incorporated again into Gaepo 2-dong. Since then, it has continued as Gaepo 1, 2, and 4-dong.

The adjacent Mt. Daemo has an altitude of 293m and because its shape resembles an old lady, it was previously called the mountain of an old lady. After enshrining the tomb of King Taejong, the third king of Joseon Dynasty, its name was changed to Mt. Daemo according to the royal decree. From its west, it faces Mt. Guryeong in Poi-dong. Currently, an area called Hakyeoul is located in Gaepo 2-dong and its name has continued from ancient times. The rapids of Han River rise at Hakyeoul and the mudflat formed Hakyeoul; thus, it was also called as Bangok in the past. In Gaepo-dong, prehistoric remains, which were four southwestern-style dolmens, were investigated; however, the exact shape and location are still unknown as these remains were gone due to the local development promoted in the past.

Banpo-ri in Eonju-myeon (Joseon, Japanese colonial era) → Gaepo-dong of Eonju Branch Office (1963)
the person in charge
Gaepo 2-dong Tel.02-3423-7753
Gaepo 4-dong Tel.02-3423-7854
/WEB-INF/jsp/egovframework/global/cts/CONTP001/view.jsp