- Itaewon/Hannam-dong/UN Town/Ichon-dong
- This area is conveniently located with an easy access to other regions. It is sought after by foreign residents but one shortfall is that the rents are relatively expensive.
- Surrounded by residential houses, this area boasts clean air with mountains and parks. The rents in the area are quite high, with luxury houses but the transportation does not live up to the high cost of living.
- High-rise apartments and officetels are distributed throughout this area, which makes it attractive to office workers, singles or young couples without children. Not in proximity to schools and the school bus route, this area is not recommended for the families with children.
- A large community of French natives and French-speaking people have been formed in this region after the establishment of French International School. Luxurious houses and high-rise apartments are commonly found in the region.
- Cost-effective studios, one room residence, and apartments are spread throughout this region, with people from diverse cultures and young working class consisting of university students, exchange students or business men.
- Thanks to decent neighborhood and cheap rents, these areas are popular to residents, both local and foreign.
With varying sizes of residence from small houses to large apartments, renters have a wide selection to choose from though one shortfall is that it is long way off from major cities and ethnic communities.
Types of Residence
- Apartments are the most popular hosing option for Koreans in Seoul. Maintenance and garbage could be conveniently taken care of and the apartments provide security. With playgrounds, gym facilities, libraries and welfare centers within the apartment complex, this hosing option allows the residents to form a community.
- Villa (Small-sized Condominiums)
- This type of housing is preferred by foreign residents because most villas are recently built with western-style floor plans.
Despite its high rents, many foreigners opt for living in villas.
- Residential Houses
- As a stand-alone structure on its own lot, these houses are two to three stories high with a garden in the front or back yards. Despite its high rents, a number of foreign ambassadors or company executives tend to prefer this housing option.
- One-room Studio (One bedroom studio)
- This is a type of residence similar to a western-style studio. Most one-rooms have kitchens inside the room, preferred by university students and young white collar workers. They are usually located in universities or near subway stations.
- Officetels were initially introduced for the purpose of providing office space with small residential 시설 but nowadays they are often used for residential purpose. Officetels are usually located in commercial districts with convenient transportation, sought after by young newlywed couples and office workers.
Types of Residences
Many types of residences are scattered throughout Seoul. In surrounding areas(Capital area) are dense with large apartment complexes with 10-year history since their construction and development. Rental agreements may differ depending on the payment methods, the size of residential area, interior design, scenery, location and the age of the residence.
- Jeonsae System
- Lease system unique to Korea, most Koreans use this payment option. This contract After Jeonsae term has expired; you get your security deposit back. Unlike Wolsae, this rental agreement is designed to leave the security deposit in the landlord’s possession for the duration of the contract.
- This type of lease allows the tenant to make monthly payments for the rent when entered into a contract with the landlord, or pay a full amount at once. The two payment methods of wolsae are as follows.
- The first one is to pay a certain deposit sum up front and make set monthly payments.
- The second option is to make payments for the total rental amount for the duration of the contract.
- Most Koreans prefer the first option of payment and the deposit is returned to the renter when the contract expires. The second payment option is used often by high officials or foreign company executives.
- the person in charge
- Real Estate Division Tel.02-3423-6305