aste Management

  • Waste management is important for preserving the natural environment and creating pleasant living conditions. In Korea, wastes are segregated and disposed of depending on recyclables, food waste, general waste, and bulky waste.
Recyclable Wastes
Recyclable Wastes
Recyclable Wastes
Recyclables Food waste General waste Bulky waste
  • Paper, paper packs
  • Cans (iron, aluminum), scrap metal
  • Styrofoam
  • Plastic
  • Vinyl (including package for instant noodles and snacks)
  • Clothing (excluding shoes)
  • Waste generated in the course of production, distribution, processing, cooking, storage, and consumption of food materials or food / Left-over and food
  • Diapers
  • Bones (from cow, pork, chicken, fish)
  • Shells (nuts, egg shell, shellfish)
  • Other wastes besides recyclables, food waste, and bulky waste
  • Furniture like desks, wardrobes, etc.
  • Home appliances like refrigerators, TVs, etc.
※ Waste that cannot be classified into food waste ⇒ It MUST be discharged as general waste.
Bones (from cow, pork, chicken, fish), shells (from nuts, egg, shellfish, and crustaceans like crabs and lobsters), seeds of fruits like peaches, apricots, and plums, radishes, cabbages, pumpkins, vegetable roots, garlic stems, corn stem, red pepper seeds and red pepper stems, leftovers of various teas (green tea, etc.), herbal medicine, coffee, chaff, etc.
How to discharge wastes
  • Recyclables
    • House (independent, townhouse, etc.): Waste should be discharged using a Green Recycle Mesh and the waste that cannot be put in the mesh should be discharged using a transparent plastic bag.
    • Apartment complex: Waste should be discharged in the Recycle Bin installed in the apartment complex.
    • Buildings besides houses: The same method for general houses is applied to a building whose total ground area is less than 1,000m2. However, waste from a building whose total ground area is more than 1,000m2 should be treated by the owner and superintendent of the building or a private waste treatment agency.
  • Food waste
    • House (general houses and apartments): Food waste should be discharged to the Food Waste Bin by using a volume-rate waste disposal bag used for homes.
    • Small restaurant (business area of less than 200 m2): Food waste should be discharged to the Food Waste Bin for Business by using a volume-rate waste disposal bag used for businesses.
    • Business with waste discharge in large volume (business area of more than 200 m2): Food waste should be autonomously collected, carried, or recycled or treated by entrusting a private waste treatment agency.
  • General waste
    • Combustible waste: Waste should be discharged by using a volume-rate waste disposal bag used for general waste (for home and business purposes).
    • Inflammable waste: The waste like broken glass, pottery, and shoes should be discharged by using ‘a volume-rate waste disposal bag used for inflammable waste.’
    • ※ Inflammable waste: broken glass, pottery, battery, wire, synthetic fiber, shoes, leather goods, etc.
      The volume-rate waste disposal bag for general and food waste are available in nearby stores like marts and convenience stores.
  • Bulky waste
    • For treatment of bulky waste like furniture and home appliances, a phone reservation is required three days prior to the waste discharge. On the designated date, the waste should be discharged in front of the house for general houses and at the designated waste collecting area for apartments. Depending on the waste, special charge should be paid.
    • Charge: Appendix <1> in Clause 8, Article 1 of Waste Management Ordinances of Gangnam-gu, Seoul
    • Waste treatment agencies depending on work zone
      Waste treatment agencies depending on work zone
      Name Phone no. Work zone
      Hajin 3442-6507 Sinsa-dong, Nonhyeon 1-dong, Apgujeong-dong, Segok-dong
      Hanam 546-1911 Samseong 1∙2-dong, Cheongdam-dong
      Pyeong A Service 568-6705 Daechi 1∙4-dong, Yeoksam 2-dong, Yeoksam 1-dong (southern Teheran-ro)
      Royal Environment 567-2240 Daechi 2-dong, Yeoksam 1-dong (northern Teheran-ro)
      Pyeongwon 579-3930 Gaepo 1∙4-dong, Gaepo 2-dong (except for Jugong Complex 2, 3, 4, 8, and 9), Suseo-dong
      Taehwa Service 553-6186 Gaepo 2-dong (Jugong Complex 2, 3, and 4), Nonhyeon 2-dong
      Goryeo Environment 3411-1086 Irwonbon-dong, Irwon 1•2-dong, Gaepo 2-dong (Jugong Complex 8 and 9)
      Seongjin 563-8297 Dogok 1•2-dong
    • ※ Free pickup for bulky waste: Seoul Metropolitan Government picks up reusable bulky home appliances free of charge (TV, refrigerator, washing machine, air-conditioner, and home appliances bigger than 1m). However, a fee will be charged for appliances that cannot be reused (applies fee charged for bulky waste in Gangnam-gu).

      How to apply: Through internet homepage (http://www.edtd.co.kr) and Call Center (1599-0903)
    • Free pickup for small home appliances(Items to be collected)
      Humidifier, audio, air purifier, water purifier, gas oven (height less than 1m), cassette radio, iron, electric fan, dehydrator, vacuum cleaner, VTR/DVD, phone, blow-dryer, outdoor unit of air-conditioner, electric blanket, electric heater, microwave, electric rice cooker, thermos, juicer (mixer), toaster, gas stove, computer, game console, computer keyboard, laptop computer, scanner, printer, official replicator, modem, facsimile, clock
    • How to discharge: Waste discharge in front of house on the recycling day, sort out the recyclable goods
  • Day and time of waste discharge
    • Day: Every Monday ~ Saturday (excluding Sundays and holidays)
    • Time: From 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. on the next day (There is no specific time for food waste discharge.)
the person in charge
Public Sanitation Administration Division Tel.02-3423-5963