Public Utilities

  • A house leasing contact does not include various public utility charges (sewage, gas, and electricity charge) that are needed for living (A person who resides in a boardinghouse is not responsible for those charges). The utility charges should be paid a month after service use. The owner or a person who previously resided is responsible to pay the public utility charges that are generated during the lease period. The utility charges used in the previous place until the day of moving out should be calculated and it should be paid to a new tenant (owner) or real estate agency.
  • In case of leasing a part of a house, most of utility charges includes use of the entire house; therefore, the owner splits the amount of utility charges for all tenants in the house. Also, it is necessary to verify this fact in the detail description of the house leasing contract.
  • Public utility charges can be paid in most banks or post offices (However, a certain bank may be designated for the maintenance fee of an apartment). If utility charges are not paid within the set period, penalty must be paid. When the payment is made in a bank or post office with utility bills, a banker or officer in the bank/post office stamps the bill and provides a receipt. If you set automatic wire-transfer for utility charges, it will automatically deduct the charge on the payment day from your bank account. This method is convenient for the users as they don’t have to visit the bank or post office every time they have to pay their bills.
  • Gas/heating
    • Recently, town gas is provided to most buildings through gas pipes and fees are charged every month. For an old building without gas connection should use LPG or oil boiler through personal delivery.
    • In case of moving into a new place, please inquire to the town gas corporation and LPG business. Once paying a certain amount for gas connection/disconnection, a business verifies gas line connection/disconnection as well as gas leakage.
    • Most Korean house heats the floor called ‘Ondol.’ The heater controller is generally located at the living room or master’s bedroom.
    • The temperature of each room can be controlled through the boiler or valve installed in each room. Some old apartments provide heating through central heating system.
Temperature controllers
Ko-one Energy Service
27-1, Daechi-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
Tel. 1599-3366 (www.ko-one.co.kr)
  • Electricity
    • Most buildings use 220V.
    • There are power outlets in every room and circuit breaker is located around the main entrance. The electric bill is charged every month including television charge (2,000 won).
Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO)
KEPCO Art Center & Gallery 60, Hyoryeong-ro 72-gil, Seocho-gu, Seoul, Korea
Tel. 02-123
homepage : http://www.kepco.co.kr
  • Water supply
    • Fee is charged every two months depending on the amount of water consumption (depending on residential or commercial area). The Korean government executes safety assessment for tap water; however, many people still boil water or prefer to purchase fresh water.
Gangnam Water Supply Office
199, Yangjaecheon-ro, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
Tel. 02-3146-4724
홈페이지 : http://http://arisu.seoul.go.kr/
  • Maintenance fee
    • The residents living in an apartment or villas receive monthly maintenance bill from the management office. Apart from maintenance fee, several charges are included such as public utility fee (elevator use, water supply, and common electric charge), salary for security guards and workers, maintenance and repair fee, etc.
  • Other fees
    • Bansanghoe is the name of a meeting to improve the neighborhood by promoting good relations among neighbors. It comes from Korea's tradition of caring about ones neighbors and surrounding area. Meetings are unofficial, although all residents are encouraged to participate. Some meeting organizers will charge a small fee (a few thousand won) to buy snacks and drinks for attendees.
    • In some apartment complexes, the residents in each apartment block may collect a few thousand won from each tenant to buy a small present for the guards to show their appreciation. This usually occurs around major holidays such as the Lunar New Year and Chuseok.
the person in charge
Real Estate Division Tel.02-3423-6305